Vital Records Information:
What is a Vital Record?
Vital Records consist of birth, marriage and death records.
Who can apply or obtain Vital Records?
Vital records are confidential. Therefore, only those individuals who have what is called a “Direct and Tangible Interest” may have access to records. These individuals include:
• The person named on the certificate, a member of his/her immediate family, his guardian, or an authorized agent of these individuals.
• Attorneys-at-law, title examiners, or members of legally incorporated
• Genealogical societies, in the conduct of their official duties.
• Persons requiring information for the determination or protection of a personal or property right.
• A person who has been granted a court order instructing the registrar to provide disclosure.
Note: A direct and tangible interest shall not be demonstrated by firms, agencies, or individuals requesting information to be used for
What is required to obtain various records?
To obtain a certified copy of a birth, death or marriage record you must present acceptable picture identification. An acceptable picture identification is defined as one issued by a governmental organization.
If you do not have government issued picture identification, you may submit 2 pieces of documentary evidence (utility bills, bank statements, pay stub, etc.). Both documents must contain the name and current address of the applicant.
The fee for a certified copy is $20.00. Additional copies of the same record issued at the same time are $15.00 each.
We accept cash, check or money order. Checks should be payable to the City of East Providence.
Apply in person or by mail
Include completed application, photocopy of picture ID, a check and a self addressed stamped envelope.
Office of the City Clerk
145 Taunton Ave
East Providence, RI 02914
Marriage/Civil Union License Requirements for the City of East Providence
1. Twenty-four dollars ($24)-Cash, check or Money Order.
2. Certified copy of Birth Certificate or Valid Passport. Also acceptable-Military ID, Immigration Card or Naturalization Papers.
3. Proof of Residence: Both parties must present valid Drivers License, State Issued picture ID(utility bill, bank statement, tax return or pay stub with current address if different from ID)
4. If previously Married/Civil Union: Certified FINAL DIVORCE/DISSOLUTION DECREE-no photocopies.
5. If Partner is deceased: Certified Death Certificate.
6. ALL DOCUMENTS MUST BE IN ENGLISH: If not in English, a Notary Public must translate the document.
MARRIAGE/CIVIL UNION LICENSES AVAILABLE MONDAY –FRIDAY 8:00AM-3:00PM
BOTH PARTIES MUST BE PRESENT
Request for a Birth Certificate
Request for a Death Certificate
Request a Certified Copy of Marriage or Civil Union Certificate
Marriage or Civil Union Worksheet
Marriage License Requirements
State of RI Vital Records Information